Saturday, May 14, 2011

the sister that i do have


My best friend and I will be heading off to different Ivies in the fall. We had planned to go to the same college - caliber and academic interests all taken in mind...it was not for each other, but that part was supposed to be an added bonus - but, life of course, does not work out how we first plan it to.

I haven' t been good at keeping in touch with old friends. I speak to them every month, but we never hang out any more than twice or three times a year even though we live so close. Being at a fast-paced college environment, I know, will probably not help the situation. Am I going to get too busy? Is she going to get too busy? She feels like a sister though, there's just no way I can lose her. She's my go-to girl, first priority, all that jazz.

Yes, I've heard that "real best friends" wouldn't worry about this kind of stuff. But that simply cannot be true. Everyone worries about big changes coming up and how these changes are going to affect relationships.  Whether you do it in a calm way, external psychotic way, or internal freakout way, it happens.

We'll see.

The last two words reflect pretty much the next three months until I actually get to college.

Goodbye, public school. My parents' decision to send me to a competitive public high school instead of a strict private high school was probably the best and worst decision ever.

Next: reflections of the last four years as a public school girl

No comments: