Monday, May 16, 2011

reflections of the next four years as a public school girl

Having interacted with quite a few people from small private schools during admit days has left me with a mix of positive and negative reactions to having been from a large, public school.

Features of private schools included, generally, were small class sizes (no more than 16!), closer relationships with teachers (they even had advisers who checked up with them quite more often than...well, twice in four years), and a highly close-knit group of people who didn't necessarily like each other but knew everything about everyone.

While I was envious of the fact that the class sizes were so small because of the amount of time they could dedicate to sharing their thoughts, have actual seminars when each person speaks more than twice, and truly be engaged in conversation, I realized there were some slacker-tendency downfalls in this. For one, in my 35-person classes, I could easily not speak for an entire period (especially if I were tired that day) and the teacher would never notice. If I hated the book we were required to read - I could SparkNote it and get away with it.

The closer relationships with teachers and counselors though, of course, was a serious advantage for college applications. I don't know how serious college admissions officers weigh teacher recommendation letters, but having a teacher who truly knows you and could speak a lot about your passion and personality sure can help (given that you are a wonderful, caring, passionate individual, that is).

As for the small group of kids graduating - I've heard from 16 to 95! - I suppose I'm thankful for the number of people I don't know and could potentially meet. Any number under 100 seems to be too tedious and repetitive. I'm so thankful for the amount of diversity that my public school provides me. I've seen kids from all walks of life - kids who can't afford their own meals, drug dealers, overachievers, snobby trust-fund kids (Disclaimer: not to say all kids with trust funds are snobby!), etc. I love the interracial friendships, relationships, partnerships, everything.  I'm not saying it's perfect or that there's no racial bullying, but for the most part, everyone is incredibly mixed with each other.

For the most part, although this may be biased because I'm going to be attending an elite institution, I"m thankful for all my high school has provided me.

Coming up: the hook up vs. relationship question

No comments: